Friday, May 30, 2014

Day 13, 30 May

0 visitors


A sunny cool morning to wake up to today. After a leisurely breakfast Fred took off to weed whack the North trail again particularly the end loop which he didn’t get to before. He also brought a hammer and some trail signs to hammer into the ground at appropriate places. I fielded some emails, looked out for visitors and finally after a shower got out onto the North trail to do some clipping, retrieve a small gas can and move a trail sign. The North trail is the longest and most strenuous trail on the island with lots of steep ups and downs to get to the northern most part of Seguin Island. There is a good sized loop at the end that winds itself through a small bog. I met Fred as he was nearly back and he was quite exhausted. I went clipping down the trail and at one ridge point saw the two Canadian geese off to the left. I ducked down and tried to not disturb them as I continued to the spot where a vista trail veers off and the main trail loops to the right. I went down to the vista point along the rock cliffs where I saw a large brown bird with her 3 brown fuzzy babies waddling to hide from me in the distance. I took 3 quick photos and retreated quickly back up the trail. I saw the mama jump in the ocean but not the babies. I didn’t want to disturb them any further. I hope the babies stayed safely hidden while mama came back.
Mama Duck with three chicks

So back to the junction I went and this is where I realize that the vista sign should be placed and I saw it way back on the trail where I had hiked down from. I called Fred on the radio and verified. I decided to move the sign later and continued back around with the gas can I located and continued clipping. I got near the place where Fred had placed the vista sign when I noticed the geese walking in the trail ahead of me with their 4 fuzzy babies! What a sight, mama and papa between the chicks waddling down the trail. I didn’t want to get too close to frighten them so I kept my distance and carried the shears and gas can. I got to the sign and removed it and left the can and shears to hike back around to the spot where the sign should go. Again strenuous up and down for a second time and I located the spot and pounded in the sign securing it with some rocks. So back up the trail again for a 3rd time to go back home retrieving the shears and can and now the heavy hammer. So merrily I am making my way back when I see the geese again coming back down the trail toward me with their little ones. This time I want to get pictures. They honk and turn around to go back up the trail and I gingerly follow them trying to keep out of sight. I periodically drop the gear so I can use my camera to get some shots. The geese stop in the trail with the babies instinctively between them and hiding underneath them. I followed behind them for a bit but eventually wanted to get by them. There was finally a spot where they went off the trail a bit on a little rock rise. So I gathered my gear and very quickly went right by them – they standing guard over and between the babies. The papa came a little forward hissing at me as I hurried by. He was rightfully protecting his precious family and mama stood silent guard over her brood. I got a little ways away down the trail and dropped the gear and got my camera out to get a few more pictures. So I snuck back laying low and got a few more good shots as they went back on the trail and going away from me. I apologized and thanked them for their patience and wished them well. What a neat experience to see them so close, hopefully I didn’t terrorize them too bad.
Mama Canadian Goose with 4 chicks, dad was nearby
I finally got back to the house with all the gear to see Fred up in the tower on the outer and upper catwalk. I told him by radio of my goose encounter. Even though tired, I went up in the tower and joined Fred for a relaxing view of our island kingdom in the warm sunshine and admired our beautiful lens and light and views. We were starving and Fred cooked up cheeseburgers on the outside grill while I made a big salad. We watched the news and I knit on my dress for about an hour before I took Sac for her evening walk around the whistle house. After getting her back inside I went back down to the whistle house to return the gas can and just enjoyed the 360 degree views as I walked back to the tower and one more visit to the light. Back down to enjoy the rest of the evening. Fred went to bed early and Sac and I stayed up to surf the web and write this blog. Maybe a few more rows of knitting before retiring. Good night little goslings and chicks – stay safe on your island home.

No comments:

Post a Comment