Saturday, July 5, 2014

Day 49, 5 July

7 visitors

Fred down near the southern tip of Seguin Island
Hurricane Arthur had passed us in the night with lots of pouring rain and a bit of wind.
It was nice to see that it was not raining in the morning and much less humidity than before the storm. It steadily cleared throughout the day. Had a relaxing morning doing a bit of weeding and finishing the blog and some knitting. At around noon we decided to hike down the South trail to see the waves at the point. We had just started down the soggy South trail and went up a big rock with water coming down it and crossed a big rock that is right before a seagull nest that we have been watching for a month. To our horror there was a chick lying in the middle of the trail looking dead. I looked closer to see that he was still breathing but wet and cold. I gently scooped him up in my hands to see and eye open. I immediately put him inside my jacket against me for warmth and heartbeat. As I went back over the rock I saw his nest mate lying dead on the rock – I had missed him on the way in. It just ripped our hearts apart to see this carnage after watching their eggs and mother sitting on the nest all these long days. Did not see any sign of the mother anywhere. I raced back to the house with my precious cargo and we quickly set up a plastic bin with a towel, paper towels and cloth rags as a nest. By now he was pretty dried off and fuzzy but still limp and lifeless except for breathing and a blink. I loosely wrapped him in his cloth nest and left him quiet and warm in the bedroom upstairs while we returned to the South trail to complete our hike. As we passed the sad empty nest again I noticed another body of the 3rd younger chick. It was just too much to bear to see this sad horrible affliction to this budding family that we had watched and cared about for the last month. So with heavy heart and worries about my little patient we went down to the south point of the island and looked at the crashing waves on the cliffs. We had seen two chicks here in the rocks before the storm and wondered what happened to them. As we got back to the grassy ridge we saw a chick that was pretty far along and that was a good sign to see that he survived the hurricane. So we went back to the house and I raced upstairs to find my little baby sleeping peacefully in his nest. A few hours later he was awake and sitting with bright little black eyes. I prepared a mixture of honey, milk and tiny bread bits that I warmed up. I fed it to him with a ¼ teaspoon. He would open his mouth up indicating he wanted food and I held him and gently opened his mouth and carefully shoveled the gruel way down his gullet. I have taken care of lots of tiny sparrow chicks in California much in the same way except using an eyedropper and knew what to do. The gull was actually easier since he was so much bigger. I gave him about 6 mouthfuls and then some water and put him back in the bin. He was now standing – very wobbly and trying to walk about. I left him be in the quiet warm upstairs room.
Arthur Seguin 4th
After a lunch of soups and chips and salsa I weeded in my garden and tied a few pea plants to sticks for them to climb on. Again I fed the little chick in the same way and he seemed a bit more chipper. I fed him about every two hours with the last feeding at about 9 PM. Baby birds sleep through the night and are quiet.

At around 5:30 pm we got a call from Ethan asking if his brother could come up for a look. Of course – surprised to have anyone come out today. Anthony showed up with another brother and 3 others that we gave a nice tour to. Later about 7:30 pm a man and his son appeared from their sailboat in the cove and we gave them a nice tour also.  The FOSILS folks asked Fred if he would apply another coat of joint compound to some taped drywall joints in the guest quarters.  After reading on the net how to do this, he gave it a shot, never having done this before.  Turned out to be pretty easy.  The evening had cleared pretty much and started a dinner of pork chops and salad. At about 9:30 pm I ventured outside for a look and noticed the fireworks going off along all the coastlines – about 12 displays. We went up in the tower and went outside to see the shows. They were small but fun to see so many for a delayed 4th of July fireworks showing. I managed to squeeze in some weight training and stretching before one last feeding for Arthur Seguin the 4th and a kiss on his fuzzy little spotted head to bid him sweet dreams and more recovery. For me, off to a fretful sleep thinking about his poor little siblings that I felt so sad and helpless at not being able to save.

1 comment: