Monday, July 14, 2014

Day 58, 14 July

0 visitors

Today started off foggy and breezy with overnight showers. Since the sea state was not good we had no visitors – yea! Time to relax and catch up on chores. After a relaxing morning catching up on email and the blog and working on updating a computer profile for my orchestra back home, I went and painted the rest of the visitors section of the floor in the gift shop. Sue had started it and I decided I could finish it since it was a good time with no visitors. Tomorrow I’ll finish painting the back section of it. Fred went down and mowed the cove area and finished painting one side of the the Tram House that Cyndy had started on Sunday when she came out on the ferry.
Mussels Before Cooking, note are all are closed
After painting the floor I treated myself to a snack of some ice cream – raspberry chocolate chip yogurt and chocolate ice cream – yum. I had a nice break eating it and sitting on sunset bench while gazing out into the ocean. After my break I fertilized two evergreen bushes with evergreen food like I had done in May. One is in front of the house and the other is near the Whistle house.   They both have quite a bit of green new growth so I hope it is helping.
It was approaching 8pm and I wandered down to the Tram house to see what Fred was doing and he was finishing up the painting of the Tram house side. I went on down to the cove to look for beach glass since it was a nice low tide. While down there I got the sudden urge to look for mussels so I rolled up my
Mussels After Cooking, note how all opened up

Capri’s and long sleeves and started searching under the rocks that were underwater in the area that I saw Kim and Cyndy looking. I was much lower than they were since the tide was so low. So I started feeling around under the rocks and came upon my first mussel! It was good size and I wrenched it off the rock and placed it high on another to keep it from washing away in the slight waves. So this is how you locate them! I continued and got about a half dozen that were the same large size – about 3 inches. Since I was having so much fun getting them I continued getting an even dozen. Even though it was 8 pm and no sun and the water were cold, I still was having fun in spite of the water getting to the bottoms of my Capri’s and sleeves.  At one point I pulled up a small green crab and he was surprised at me as I was of
Seguin Island Lighthouse in the Fog at Night

him. So, I was a little ways from the cove beach with a dozen, 3 inch mussels sitting on a big rock and no bag to bring them back with - poor planning on my part. I mentioned to Fred before he headed up to the house to bring a bag but was not sure if he heard me. Well, I had to get back to the beach and improvised by stuffing the mussels down the front top of my Capri’s! I couldn’t carry all of them in my small hands and I didn’t want to make multiple trips back and forth. So I climbed back carefully with my pregnant belly of mollusks – HA! As I got back to the beach Fred arrived with a bag- yea! I deposited my precious hoard out of my wet Capri’s and resumed looking for the beach glass that I had originally come down for. Fred and I had fun picking up our little treasures before heading up to the house to cook up my mussels and the rest of our dinner. Ever since Kim picked up about two dozen mussels I had wanted to do it myself also – I hope she is proud of me – and Cyndy too. I did notice my scraped fingers and knuckles from my impromptu hunt – the payment for my reward.  I got back to the house and scrubbed the mussels to get seaweed and sand off of them in running water. I prepared a wine, chives, water and touch of butter sauce to steam the
Lighthouse at Night with the Lit Windows of the House in the Foreground

delectable morsels in for about 8 minutes. They opened up nicely as they should and I had a sumptuous feast with my salad. Fred had one as well as Sac – she got a big fat one! We then had cheeseburgers with no buns to round out dinner.

I started the magnificent skirt on the back of my new knitted dress, 195 stitches and 4 different patterns that repeat. It was so exciting to start this new phase though I have to keep strict counting of the rows and patterns and absolutely no brain farting in the patterns to mess up the very complicated endeavor. This will probably be the most challenging knitted project I have done in all my 51 years of knitting. I’m on my way with 3 rows of the skirt done – it won’t be fast. So off to bed I went with reams of blue lace knitting patterns swirling in my head. Another set of rainstorms came to lull me to sleep, the fog swirling all about and a few snapped photos earlier to capture Beauty shining her beacon with rainbow prisms into the night.

2 comments:

  1. Our library has a book "Seaglass Hunters Handbook" by CS Lambert you may like

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of you! Wasn't it fun to find them? They were the most delicious mussels I have ever tasted! Kim

    ReplyDelete