Monday, May 26, 2014

Day 9, 26 May

2 visitors  (Blog tip:  if you click on the pictures they get bigger)

This warm sunny Memorial Day morning we had visitors at 10 am that Ethan brought out, a nice young couple that just graduated from college. He came from San Diego and she from New York. We gave them a tour of the tower and they had toured the museum. The weather got more cloudy and cooler as the day went on with some rain and then brightened up again. I managed to get my toenails painted the same shade of turquoise that my fingernails are. So that should hold me for a few weeks. I worked on getting our blog site out to more friends and family. After a shower and lobster lunch – forth day in a row I’ve had lobster- I opted to fertilize the juniper bushes with some fertilizer beads I got at Ace. Did the bush near the keeper’s house and the one near the Whistle House. Hopefully this will help them green up and look and feel better. Then I decided to hike the North trail again for exercise and brought along the shears to snip any brush that needed it especially near the end that I did not get to earlier in the week. Already I could see the grass growing back where Fred had whacked it earlier. So happily snipping I went and this time went to the left at the loop and down the side trail to the ocean. There I saw a pair of Canadian geese with about 6 fuzzy babies. They saw me and waddled away down on the rock cliffs. I turned away from them and kept still, watching the waves crash onto the rocks and enjoying the north end . They eventually came back up a little and I snapped a number of pictures – hopefully getting them all in focus. I then
Canadian Geese with chicks
quickly ducked down and went back up the trail so I wouldn’t disturb them any further. Went down around and through the bog snipping away and eventually back to the trail junction where I found a seagull nest right smack in the trail with two precious eggs, I took a real close up picture of the speckled eggs and then an over all nest shot and continued back to the lighthouse. A slight rain started as I went snipping back. Fred was finishing up the mowing.  He uses the riding mower for most of it and a push mower for the steep hills and around obstacles.  He finishes with some raking to get rid of the thick cut grass which can damage the lawn. Takes about 3 hrs to mow.  The lawn looks like a thick rich carpet. Looks like a golf course with the granite outcroppings acting as the sand traps.  Fred took a call from Cyndy whom he called earlier with a few questions. Took Sac for a little walk and decided to relax and defrost some chicken instead of working on the lens since it
Close-up of Seagull eggs, they are bigger then x-large chicken eggs
 was late – 8:15 Pm. My back was aching a bit and the rain and wind started so I’ll work on the lens tomorrow. Depending on the weather I’d like to start on my garden also – planting my veggie and flower seeds. I hope to grown my own spinach, lettuces, cilantro, herbs, carrots, beets and some pretty flowers for the birds, bees and butterflies. We did hang up a hummingbird feeder and hope to see some of these tiny marvels appear for some dining pleasure. Time to start the last sleeve on my sweater tonight and relax at our lighthouse home and maybe watch the Kings play hockey.  Just before bed Cyn spotted a bat in the bedroom.  Buzzed her dressing table.  We don't know where he his now.  Hopefully he is eating the moths.  If we have a problem with daylight in the morning we will know it was "that kind of bat!"

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying the blog so much, you paint a great picture with your words . . .have fun - Pat

    ReplyDelete