Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Day 10, 27 May

0 visitors

The day opened up as grey, overcast and a cold wind blowing as predicted with a cold front that moved in. I got the flag up with help from Fred since the wind was blowing strong and the flag was tugging hard on the wet cold rope, which hurt my delicate hands.
We had pancakes for breakfast that Fred cooked up on the stove. We had to try our Vermont maple syrup that we got in a little jug in a tiny market in the beautiful countryside of Vermont as we came through there on our way out to Maine. The pancakes turned out good especially with the syrup.
We had our first hummingbird this morning in the blustery winds. The poor little guy was hanging on the feeder we bought trying to get a drink. Hopefully he will return on calmer days.  In regards to the bat sighting   At about 12:30 am Monday night I was getting ready for bed and saw a dark shadow move across the dresser – I thought WTF? - I looked about and saw a 10-12 inch bat silently winging its way around the room. It flew out into the sitting area and hallway. I closed the doors to the two bedrooms and bathroom. It kept flying around the sitting area in total silence. I slipped into the bathroom to wash up and peeked a few times out the door and he was still there flying about. He didn’t seem to go downstairs since Fred didn’t notice him. I finished washing up and when I left the bathroom he was no where to be seen. We went to bed wondering where our little Count Chocula wandered off to - hopefully flew back out the way he came in. We didn’t see him last night.
last night here is a little more info.
Worked on my knitted sleeve a bit and watching some TV.  I called Kathryn in the office and left her a message about showing up tomorrow and the few things we needed to get from her. We kept updating our lists of supplies to get in town for ourselves.
The light of the great lens
Cynthia cleaning the Fresnel lens with great care
For lunch I cooked up the chicken that finally defrosted from last night. We were too tired to eat it last night and I had a pop tart with my salad instead. So I stuffed the chicken with garlic white chees and sprinkled more garlic in them and cinnamon. Then salt and peppered the outsides with a bit of olive oil and baked them in the oven for 30 minutes. They turned out great and we put a Hawaiian sweet and sour sauce on them with a touch of maple syrup.  I also baked some brownies with the last egg and butter that we had for desert. We managed to watch an episode of my soap opera on TV and caught up on what was happening. So finally off to work we went. Fred set the oven to self clean and heat up the kitchen. He then proceeded to check out the North trail in the nasty weather. I opted to go into the tower and clean the great lens from her insides next to the brilliant light. Since the wind and rain were blowing it wasn’t very warm in there even being inside the light with the hot bulb. I’m glad I had my cashmere scarf wrapped around my neck and had long sleeves and capris on. So I gently cleaned her insides listening to my classical music on my Ipod that was safely tucked away under my shirt. The eight great big bulls eyes at the focal point of the lens made me think that this was her belly insides.  They are big and smooth and easy to clean though I have to make sure there are no streaks, as on all the glass pieces. At one point I did hear a strange eerie cry from a seagull that came through the vent ball atop the lantern room. I have noticed while out hiking the sometimes startling and almost human sounding voices of the seagulls at times. So after cleaning and wiping down both sides I swept up the small white paint chips that fell from the sides as I was cleaning. So now the lens bottom portion looks all shiny and clean. I did manage to wipe the 3 rows of glass prisms above the main lens. It was all I could safely reach and they were the most dirty and grimy from stuff falling from above. One side of the lantern room had condensation on the glass windows, which is disconcerting since the lens can’t shine through and be seen properly. This was the side the wind and rain was hitting more harshly and directly. In our WA lighthouse we kept a heater on just below the lantern room and the heat rose and kept condensation off the glass windows. Not sure if that would work here with the much bigger lantern room.  Checked my phone to see I got a text from Ethan, that he will get us Thursday since there are small craft warnings for Wednesday, that is fine with us. My birthday Thai lunch and shopping will have to wait a day.
Lighthouse in the rain

We then took a walk down to the cove and looked at a pretty white sailboat that was moored there. We proceeded to go down the Cove and Cobblestone beach trails to check out the ocean in the rain. Back to the house to get warm and dry and relax. A big salad for dinner and more brownies.  Got a lot done on my sleeve and will finish it tomorrow. No Count Chocula tonight – sweet dreams little bat.

1 comment:

  1. I shall visit one day
    Rain or shine
    I can't wait to look at the ray
    As vessels keeper, a light shrine

    Love this blog and photos!

    ReplyDelete