Thursday, August 28, 2014

Day 103, 28 Aug

0 Visitors

Seal Resting Down by the Cove
This morning was warm and sunny with a slight breeze and good-sized ocean swells coming from the southeast. We luxuriously slept in till 9 am and I raised the flag and worked on yesterday's blog. Fred headed down to the cove since he got a text from Ethan asking us what the sea conditions were like by us. The conditions were not too bad in the cove but there were the good-sized swells getting to the cove. Ethan said it looked pretty nasty at Popham. Fred stayed down at the cove to work and I finished the blog and gave Sac her morning walk. Fred called me to tell me about a little seal that was sleeping on the rock cliffs near the boathouse dock. I went down to the dock to see the adorable little pinniped napping just beyond the dock. We got word from Ethan that he was not coming out to bring visitors. Weeeee - we get to have some time to ourselves! I poked around the cove and picked up 2 buoys that Fred had
Wild Rose Down by the Ocean Rocks

found yesterday and hoped the tide would bring to the cove. Surprisingly, they did.  Fred returned to the house to work on our presentation for Summerfest, FOSILS big fundraiser where we are supposed to be the highlight with our presentation of our experience on Seguin for the summer. They usually have it earlier in the summer, which would have been preferable to us since it is only 3 days before we have to leave the island on Labor Day weekend. I would rather have had the time to enjoy my last days on Seguin and plan my massive packing job. It puts more stress on us and dampens our final days here. Perhaps the person who set this up will have better planning next year and do a better job with much more consideration to the keepers. They obviously never have had to pack for a 5 month trip and travel 6000 miles back and forth across the country. I can hope for the sea state to be high on Monday so we can’t get off the island and have another day to ourselves.
I went down the Cove trail to looks for sea glass. The waves from the swells that were coming in as the high tide approached were spectacular. They were generated by now tropical Hurricane Cristobal, now a tropical storm that came up the East Coast.  I found some nice glass pieces and called Fred to see if he wanted to hike around the peninsula since the waves looked so incredible. I looked around for a few more minutes until
Waves Crashing on the Rocks

Fred joined me for our hike. The waves were awesome as we worked our way around. I stopped at two rose bushes that were blooming late. One had pink blossoms and I the other had white. The white roses were much more fragrant than the pink and I inhaled it's sweet scent. This is the same bush that I got a few petals from to put on the poor dead black back gull. I noticed the big rose hips from past blossoms on the bushes also. We continued around the rock cliffs enjoying the huge waves crashing on the rocks. We could see seaweed and debris fly off as the waves hit. We got back near Cobblestone and saw the very young seagull chick that we saw before hiding in a crack in a wall of rock. We saw him with another young gull on the top of the ridge of rock and I got a nice shot of them with a crashing wave in the background. We poked around the Cobblestone area and then ventured back up to the house. We were starving
Two Young Seagulls Watching the Waves with Us

since we just had cookies to eat in the morning. I made up some bacon, cheese, egg sandwiches with grapefruit and fruit salad. Since I was thirsty I made an iced chai tea. Fred worked on the presentation and I checked emails. He heard an announcement from the Coast Guard that 2 kayakers got swept out from Popham Beach. We thought they might be heading for Seguin so Fred hiked out to the North tip to see if he could see anything, which he couldn't. I did some packing and took a nap or tried to. I had too many things to think about to relax and sleep. Fred later contacted the Coast Guard and they said the kayakers had made their way safely to shore. Around 6 pm we hiked down the South trail to see what was going on there. The late afternoon sun was going in and out the tremendous display of clouds. When we arrived at the vista point the confluence of sky, waves and sun was awesome and we stayed about 10 minutes to
Late Day Sky with Streaks of Clouds

enjoy the spectacle. Back to the house we went with me pruning here and there. The sun had set behind a bank of clouds but the surrounding clouds to the east were lit with gentle pinks and blues. Fred worked on the presentation and I got Sac her dinner and watered the gardens as well as getting veggies from my garden for salads.

I did more gathering of stuff to be brought off tomorrow as well as getting some things from the gift shop to sell at Summerfest. We had a dinner of pasta with chicken meatballs and salad.  I worked on the blog while watching the news and Fallon. I noticed a small tapping at the window and saw it was a small bird, seeming to want to come in side. I went out for a look and scooped the tiny confused pilot, which was a goldfinch. I gently carried him to the picnic table around the corner and let him go – he
Lens Back Lite by the Sun Late in the Day

just flew over to the kitchen window and repeated his behavior. I again carefully scooped him up and this time walked around to the base of the lighthouse where it was dark and released him to the night. I went back in the house through the kitchen door and shut off the kitchen and dining room lights. All was quiet for a while and then he returned to the living room window with tapping. We shut off all lights and worked on the computer and Ipad with their screen lighting. Eventually the little bird stopped and hopefully went safely away into the night. Well too sleepy to continue and off to bed – to dream about what else I need to pack and take off the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment