Saturday, August 30, 2014

Day 105, 30 Aug

11 Visitors

Hinkley at Cyndy's House
We got up at Cyndy’s to a bright sunny, cool morning. It was strange not to look out a window and see the ocean. I did get a nice greeting by big ‘ol Hinckley though which was even better and Cyndy who prepared me a nice cup of hot tea. Fred put back the roof carrier on the Subaru and went into town to get some bananas, dog treats and McDonald’s hash browns. I took a shower and packed up to return to Seguin. Off we went giving hugs to Hinckley and Cyndy and arrived at Popham dock just in time at 10 am. We had a hard banging ride at times in the choppy sometimes-big swells. My last ride to Seguin and I could see Beauty shining in the distance, my last view approaching her from the north. Ann and Greg were waiting on the beach with Laura. They had a very nice night and took great care of Sac. So we were back on our beloved Seguin for just a few more days. Not long after we had a few visitors trickle in and I gave them tours and even sold a fleece jacket to a young photographer. It was nice that it wasn’t too busy with visitors and we could relax and pack some more. Fred retrieved the lobsters that Jackson had left us Friday in the keeper box in the cove. This will be our last scrumptious lobster feast. Jackson said he picked out some especially nice ones for us. Fred hauled the burn pile of construction and rotted wood down on the tram to the cove. We are
Fat Cucumber from our Garden

allowed to have a bonfire on the beach to get rid of the wood and Fred called in our intentions to the appropriate State Agency. While he was doing that I was harvesting veggies from the garden.  I found two large cucumbers that I don’t know how I missed that last several weeks along with a bunch of green beans.  Picked some carrots and beets as well.  I found one pea pod with two peas, ate them both! My raw peas are incredibly sweet and tasty, wish we had more.  After Fred finished the wood transfer to the cove he mowed once again the cove area and 60% of the upper areas near the house. He worked till dark. I worked on the blog and did another tour when I noticed the fog horn was tooting and there was no fog. As I went outside on the catwalk with the visitors Fred said that we had a power failure and I checked Beauty and sure enough she
Green Beans, Beets and Carrots from the Garden

was not lit, a most disconcerting view of her not shining like she should. Later after the power came back on I checked on her at about 6:30 pm to see if she was lit. Months ago we had an hour power outage and she did not come back on automatically like she should and we had to push the reset button in the Whistle House. Sure enough, this time it was the same case and she was distressingly not shining so I went and pushed the reset button and she lit back up. I will have to call the coast guard and let them know about this predicament. If there is a long power outage in the winter there is no one here to reset Beauty and someone will have to come out to do that.
Later I decided to clean some upper areas of Beauty at sunset. It was nice to touch her and make her sparkle in areas that needed it. I also noticed some grimy
Our Pumkin, About 7x9 inches in Diameter

fingerprints on two lower lenses near the entrance of the lens!  Who dared to molest precious Beauty and accost her with their filthy fingers – horrors! I tell people to not touch the glass when I let them go up a few steps to take a peek inside her.  Perhaps this happened when I was on shore leave at any rate that is why we don’t let them up to her level – who knows what they would do to her. I reflected on the first days I cleaned her, months ago and felt so very comfortable alone with her at dusk, like being with an old dear friend. I spent about an hour with her and wished her good night. I then bundled up and with my headlamp headed down to the cove to see the bonfire that Fred was about to light. It took Fred some time to move the wood from above the high tide line to very near the low tide mark.  There was one boat moored in the cove
Cynthia in Front of Our Bonfire Down at the Cove,
Note Seaweed Covered Rocks Around Fire

when Fred lit it off. It was nice to sit and enjoy our big fire nestled in the seaweed covered rocks and watch it blow toward the sea. The high tide would extinguish all coals in a short time and take it all away. We left after it had burned down to coals. The night sky was beautiful with the stars out and a sliver of moon shining. We hiked back up to the house and I was very tired and laid down for a nap. The next thing I know it’s around midnight with Fred asking about lobster dinner. The next thing I know it’s about 3 am and we missed our lobster dinner!  WAHHH!

I was hungry and had some crackers and cheese, chips and salsa and finally went back to bed. I got a bit of sleep in but then I couldn’t sleep thinking about how I will have only one more night here. I got up just before sunrise and went up to be with Beauty for a sunrise and took some photos before sunrise and during and after sunrise. I did get some shots of the 3 lights together – Beauty’s shining bright 1000-watt bulb with it’s unlit spare and the sun rising in the distance through the lens. I got some of the sunrise through the lantern glass with Beauty reflected in the glass. I did notice some spots on some lens and wiped them clean. So back to bed with the sun now well up for hopefully a few more hours of needed rest. Again I was distracted with the knowing of my approaching departure and fretfully but finally succumbed to tiredness with a glorious early morning Beauty shining bright.

1 comment: