Sunday, August 31, 2014

Day 106, 31 Aug

0 Visitors
                                                                                                                         
Sunrise off Front Porch
The morning started off overcast and cool on our last full day on Seguin. The prediction is for rain towards evening. There was a small craft warning so no visit from Ethan and the ferry. Good, I want our last day to be by ourselves for ourselves. We both went down to the cove this morning to use the outhouse and look for glass at low tide. There wasn’t much to choose from on the beach. I went over and looked at the Cove Point beach and the area near the boathouse. I went back to the house and then went back down again to water my two big flower boxes which looked dry since the sun had come out for a bit.  Fred completed mowing the upper areas which he had started the day before.  We had the lobsters for a nice relaxed lunch and they were very delicious. One was soft shelled and the other hard shelled. After lunch I copied down the recipes I liked
Sunrise as Viewed Next to the Great Lens

that I made here. I called the coast guard and left a message about the light not coming back on in the lens after a long power outage. Fred cleaned out the outhouse at the cove and at 4 pm we decided to take one last hike down North trail. Not far from the house we came across massive blackberry areas and I filled a whole quart bag. I went back to the house to put them in the fridge and give Sac her medication. I went back to the trail and resumed eating some of the berries. I went right at the loop and through the bog, which was dry on the feet. Not far from there and almost to the vista point I found a young seagull walking funny in the trail, looked like something wrong with a wing. I was able to scoop him up and he was pretty docile. I left him on a big rock and continued on the trail to the vista point at the end where I caught up with Fred who was pruning.
The "Three Lights"
Lighthouse Light, Spare Light and Sun

We enjoyed some M & M’s at the north point near the water for about 5 minutes. We hiked back to the main trail and I showed Fred where I found the seagull. He was still sitting on the rock I put him on. I know it will be a big hassle but I couldn’t just leave him there to die. I’ve seen enough dead seagulls this summer and decided to take this one back to the house and try to care for him a bit. We hiked the long trail back and I stopped and fed the gull a few blackberries. I then went back to the house and put him in a big plastic bin with newspaper. I fed him some dog food kibbles soaked in water and large shrimp that I chopped up. He is nearly full grown and has that dangerous pointy beak that is quite strong. I called Avian Haven and actually talked to a person who said they would get back to me. I’m leaving tomorrow for good and will have to take him with. If I don’t get a call from them I will have to take it
Lobster Lunch, See How Big They Are! That is a Full Sized Dinner Plate

to a vet. I wonder what they will do to him. But after seeing that magnificent black back gull with the injured wing and then seeing him dead I couldn’t leave this one to die horribly. I thought of Arthur also.
There was a bit of rain spitting and as the evening wore on it got heavier. I did cut off one of the cucumbers for salad along with the veggies I got yesterday. Fred made a salad and I started to play my violin one last time in the tower. Fred joined me and sat up with Beauty while I played away just under her. It was nice to play again for her and us in our magnificent lighthouse concert hall. I just enjoyed playing some of my favorite pieces. As I played the storm got worse and raged noisily outside. I always seem to play here during a storm. After about an hour, I finished up and packed my violin, music and stand and brought them down the spiral steps. Fred had
Front Door of Lighthouse "Concert Hall"

left me my rain jacket and a flashlight. It was raining torrents now. I packed my music folder under my jacket and grabbed the rest and shut the lights off and opened the door – it was like someone dumped a bucket over my head. I went as fast as I could, using the flashlight to see. There were puddles everywhere and my feet got soaked before I bounded through the kitchen door. What a wet mess! Peeled the jacket off and stashed my stuff. I made one last enchilada from leftovers and Fred and I shared it with our salads. I also had some cold shrimp with cocktail sauce. I checked on the gull and he was fine. Before I went to bed I stepped outside and walked far enough to get a good view of Beauty with Tooter tooting away in the fog. Low and behold there was my favorite swirling fog scene going on right before my eyes – just like I captured in my painting. I did do it right – I did! What an incredible way to spend our last night here with Beauty sparkling high above and the ghostlike wavering fog, screaming through the great black spokes. It has got mean something to appear like that on my final night. I wish I could stay up all night and just sit and watch this mesmerizing phenomenon. I will try to hold that eerie spectacular scene in my brain as I hopefully drift off to sleep on a tiny island with a grand lady in the North Atlantic as my final gift from Seguin and with it, an at peace feeling when leaving them all the next day.
Sacatar, Resting in the Living Room

2 comments:

  1. Save these great memories ... love your blog!

    I wonder if you will start a new one in your next adventures ... let me know

    Loved ath the Beauty site

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope someday we can see your Seguin Island Presentation!

    ReplyDelete