Sunday, August 3, 2014

Day 78, 3 Aug

63 Visitors

Sacatar with her Official Lighthouse Keepers Hat On
Happy Birthday Sacatar!! Our little girl turned sweet sixteen today! We got up early – 7:30 am on a gorgeous calm morning to go for our around the island boat ride with John, the gentleman we met last night when he came up for a late tour. We took our dinghy to his tri-hull sailboat in the cove, which was tricky to get near and aboard. So off we went on motor speed since there was no wind. It was so fun to go around “our” island and see it from a totally different perspective. It was so neat to look up at our landmarks from the sea. The house and lighthouse looked so tiny and awesome from sea level. It was so nice of John to take us for a tour. I made some molasses cookies the night before and left him a baggie of those to enjoy. We got back around 9 am and looked for sea glass on the beach at low tide. Some visitors eventually showed up and I welcomed them and took them up to the lighthouse for a tour. Fred joined us a bit later. Ethan arrived with his boatload of visitors at 11:30 and it got busy. There were lots of tours and people in the gift shop buying stuff. Sac got lots of attention and I made it known that is was her 16th birthday. After the ferry left, there were still lots more visitors coming ashore all afternoon from private boats. I managed to heat up some leftover clams and fries for lunch and brought it to
Tri-Hull Racing Sailboat, John, the Captain, Gave us a Ride around the Island
the gift store. It still got cold as I dealt with sales. Fred managed to squeeze in a lunch full of leftovers.
I was out with visitors near my garden when a young boy who was teetering on the rocks surrounding the garden fell over outside the garden and started crying, at least he didn’t fall in and crush my plants. His mother scooped him up and apologized. Too bad she wasn’t policing him before he fell. Another obnoxious little boy was running amok and when Sac did her business he immediately stepped into it in his bare feet. I started to guide Sac back to her spot and as I did, a man came up to me and said the kid deserved it and we both started laughing uncontrollably. Again these parents
Cynthia, Looking for Beach Glass at the Cove
need to police their problem children. I went back with a shovel and collected the poop, like we always do. This same nightmare kid was a terror everywhere throughout the day. That’s why we have animals and NOT children. Animals are so much better behaved. I showed one family the guest quarters that people can rent by the night and one of their little girls took one look at the composting toilet and made a face and said she would not use that!  I told her that she didn’t have to flush it but would just put wood chips inside after using it. She still had a nasty scowl on her puss. I then said that the best view was sitting on it and looking out the window – her sister popped up on it and took a look. She seemed impressed as was the rest of the family but miss sourpuss was still not impressed - to each her own. 
Young Seagull by Lighthouse, Could it be Arthur
It finally calmed down with all the visitors leaving about 5 pm. I gathered my painting and stuff to go out and paint and was able to do so until a bit of rain made me gather my stuff to go back inside. I noticed a young seagull milling about and also an adult one – could this be Arthur? Likely no, but it was nice to think maybe it was. Fred went down to the cove to relax but the sun went in and he took a row around the cove in the dinghy and talked to people on 4 boats that were moored. I went back out with my painting and was able to work a bit more before the rain came back again and I brought my stuff in for the night. Fred worked on pictures for the blog.

We had a salad for dinner and our favorite thin crust pepperoni pizza.  I put mushrooms, garlic and oregano on the pizza to make it taste really good. We were exhausted from our very busy day and didn’t stay awake much longer in the evening. Dreams of puffy clouds and tiny bricks to be painted how?

No comments:

Post a Comment