Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Day 88, 13 Aug

0 Visitors

Cynthia with Her Lettuce, Beets and Carrots
With the incoming storm today we did not go off for our weekly shore leave.  It was overcast when we got up and the weather and seas did get progressively worse as the day went on. It was nice to sleep in and not have to deal with any visitors all day. After the flag raising and having some breakfast I sent some emails outs and web browsed. I then tackled the big job of gathering some carrots and beets to thin out my crowded garden before the big rains hit. I grabbed my little green step stool to sit on and discovered an adorable fuzzy little creature with cream colored tuffs on his back and tiny black antenna.  It was some kind of caterpillar but it looked like a fuzzy nudibranch. I took some pictures of him inside and then released him in some grasses. Off to my garden I went and I tugged on my first carrot with a little digging to help and miraculously a delicious little orange root appeared from the dark earth! My tiny seed from over two months ago turned into an edible sweet vegetable with just the combo of sun, rain and soil – truly a miracle. Literally I was eating from the earth of Seguin. I went along and dug out more carrots – I have 4 kinds. They were a bit crowded and tried to space them out better, even moving some to barren sections of garden. As I pulled carrots I also weeded a bit and got the cucumbers away from shading the broccoli. My very few pea plants have some pods and one was ripe and all 7 peas were very sweet. I dug out about 6 beets and moved a few others from overcrowding – my first beets ever also!  Fred took a picture of me with some of my harvest in the light rain. I wiped some of the dirt off of the veggies using the wet grass. They sat outside all day and got even more cleansed from the heavier rain storm.
Close-Up of Cyn's Beets

We made up the guest beds with the clean sheets that Ken brought us back on Tuesday and that he had kindly washed for us. We are all set for incoming guests this weekend. We might have an overnight guest Thursday night if the weather gets better but it doesn’t look good for that. About half of our reservations couldn’t be met due to the high sea states. All of our personal guests except Tom and Julie were either delayed getting here or delayed leaving – got to be flexible.
In the late afternoon I grabbed my soaked veggies and proceeded with the big job of cutting off the greenery from them and scrubbed them under the cold tap water with a vegetable brush to thoroughly get all the wonderful rich black Seguin soil off of them. I planned on cooking the beets to have with Apricot chicken and the carrots raw with our salads. I resumed with my knitting, fixed a few dropped stitches and finally figured out the decrease section in the vine pattern section of the skirt. This is where I start shaping and tapering the skirt up to the waist. It is very slow going but at least I’ll have fewer stitches to work on. It was getting late and we needed to eat so Fred made a nice salad and we munched early on my home grown carrots. I prepared the apricot chicken to bake in the oven and I had nuked the beets. It was labor intensive to peel the skin off of the rich red beets and chop them up into small pieces. I ground some fresh pepper on them with some paprika and a tad of butter and put them in the oven to keep warm and melt the butter.
Close-Up of Cyn's Carrots


We had a lovely and colorful dinner and the beets were tender and delicious especially with some of the apricot/ thousand island sauce slathered all over them. Fred doesn’t like beets but he was a good boy and ate them since I grew them. All evening the storm raged on with very high winds and Tooter tooting away. The rain lashed at the windows and we had all the screens out and windows secured. We checked a few leaks in the museum and mopped up. We had to brace the north porch door with two wood blocks since it was blowing hard enough to open the door. One could hear the ocean crashing far below and the torrent of rain was very heavy. I went to bed around 3 pm to a much calmer night with heavy fog and Beauty glistening high above with her dark spokes reaching into the darkness as the fog wavered and sped by with great speed to lull me to sleep with a gentle tooting in the distance.

1 comment: