Thursday, August 14, 2014

Day 89, 14 Aug

4 Visitors

High Surf
The violent storm that raged over the coast of Maine had calmed in the night and we had sunshine to greet us in the morning. I had gotten up and raised the flag and noticed that my square flower planters had blown off the step and were on their sides. I put them back up and the dirt inside of them stayed intact with just one broken bud. The plants looked a bit frazzled but were otherwise intact. I noticed the bench nearby had been blown over also and I righted it. I walked around the house to check what else had happened. My garden took a beating and the plants were pounded down. A number of the leaves on the pumpkins were broken and my poor little pumpkin was lying in its spot on the flat rock I had put under it.
It was a little scratched and the leaves that covered it were damaged but the pumpkin was still OK. A couple
More Damage was done to the Boat Ramp Down at the Cove
of my pots had been overturned near my rock gardens in the big rock. One pot was completely missing and just the intact dirt with plants was sitting there on it’s side. I wondered where the pot went? Fred had gone down to the cove to see what happened down there and to watch the still large incoming waves along the northern tip of the island.  He radioed to me that I should come down to see the spectacular waves. I took care of Sacatar and left her outside in her favorite spot. I ventured down to the cove in the wet soggy trail. I went down to the cove beach, which had small strong waves still incoming. The rocks were more exposed than before and there was slippery seaweed deposited high up. The second big log was gone and others appeared further down towards the water. I noticed more of the long wood
Damaged-Bent Lobster Trap left on the Rocks After the Storm
members of the boat ramp were missing and elsewhere in the cove. The boat ramp itself in the outer corner seemed to have been moved also. I told Fred who came back from the end of the cove trail to have a look. We looked around at the changed cove and boat dock. Fred had wanted to saw off part of the boat ramp that was hanging earlier but was told to wait. He should of since more damage now occurred due to the storm. It is amazing the power of those storms and what they can do.
We looked for some beach glass but none was to be found in the new conditions. We resumed our hike back to the Cove trail and around the peninsula looking at the huge waves forming and crashing onto the cliffs. This was the biggest surf we have seen since we got to the island. It was mesmerizing to just
More Waves Hitting the Coast
sit and gaze at the force of those big waves.
We got around to Cobblestone beach and went on up to the house. We were quite hungry and had a breakfast of scrambled eggs with bacon and English muffins on the front porch where we could continue to watch the beautiful high surf from afar. After breakfast I tended to my beaten garden and tied up the peas and secured up the fallen green beans. I did find two ripe beans and noticed little ones forming on the vines. I gathered up some lettuce, cilantro and chives for a salad for later. Fred had gone down to weed whack the south and cobblestone trails. After tending to my garden I decided to check out the North trail and do some pruning. It had been awhile since I had gone down the North trail. The trail had some good areas of mini pools within it and I was glad I wore my
Blackberries on the North Trail
waterproof Boggs boots to walk through the muck. I snipped away at the overhanging and heavy growth in some areas and was pleased to find blackberries! I sampled them and they were tart and delicious. There were some raspberries still lurking about also and I partook of them as well. It was a nice yummy treat to have while working on the trail. The growth at the loop was quite heavy, resulting from all the rain we had been having. The little bog was quite under water with its boardwalk. I went out to the vista point and sat for a few minutes to enjoy the magnificent views from the northern most point on the island. After my brief respite I ventured onward completing the loop and meeting Fred who was weed whacking.

I continued up the steep portion of the trail and back to the house completing the pruning of the entire trail in about 3 hours. I was beat after getting up early and hiking all but South trail. It would have to wait for another day. Fred completed the north trial after awhile and we had a late dinner of the leftover stroganoff and a nice salad. I didn’t get to bed till late and had to get up early for our shore leave. Exhausted dreams of crashing waves sending white foam and spray in every direction to delight and amaze all the senses.                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment