Saturday, August 9, 2014

Day 84, 9 Aug

43 Visitors

At Southern Pt.  Looking North at West Shore of Island 
We all awoke to another perfect day on Seguin. Tom grilled up the blueberry muffins that they brought out from Spinney’s and we had a nice breakfast out of those. The hoards of invaders started to trickle in but at least we didn’t have the ferry load to contend with at 11:30.  Our overnight guests were enjoying themselves and it was nice to pat little Sam on the head and give him hugs and kisses – he is a very good boy. There was a lull in the visitors and I decided to make my chicken, almond, cheese, mushroom and asparagus casserole for lunch for everyone. Tom and Julie helped me get the ingredients ready which was a big help. I also cut up a little fruit salad of strawberries, watermelon and blueberries to accent the casserole. The casserole was a little liquidy from probably the asparagus that I froze and milk but it tasted really scrumptious, the best version yet. I saw that delicate little grapes appeared on the fruit salad. Our overnight guests brought us some as well as a box of merlot and bananas that I requested. How very kind of them to think of us.
After lunch Tom and I hiked down South trail and we went exploring on the cliffs to the right of the end of the vista trail. It was low tide and a beautiful afternoon and I went farther than
Beautiful Rock Patterns
ever before. Again Tom was probably wondering just where the hell I was leading him. We could have gone a little farther but it was enough and there was a pretty little hanging tide pool that got replenished as the ocean waves poured into each other swell. There were more crazy patterns of rock along the way and we enjoyed looking at them and taking pictures of them as well as the stunning classic Maine coastline. We got back to the main trail and ventured down to the cove to seek out more sea glass.  Fred was busy finishing up mowing the lower cove area.  The pickings weren’t as good as yesterday but we found some good pieces. There were a couple of boats moored in the cove and a father, mother, son group got into their little red hard plastic dinghy to return to their sailboat. I watched their exit and the father
Double Rainbow Over the Lighthouse
flopped in the left side of the boat in a crazy way and I saw the boat rock back and forth and it rolled over to the right, dumping everyone and everything into the water. Tom and I ran to help them out and get the boat stable. The young man was shaken up a bit and his mom took him to rest on a log higher up the beach while dad righted the boat and drained it. They must have been freezing after dunking in the cold water. Dad got everything in order but they did lose an anchor and a pump. Mom and son climbed aboard while the 3 of us tried to stable the craft with the incoming waves, which were uneven and annoying at best. I could tell the boy wasn’t thrilled with this attempt again. He was right in front of me and I used my gut to brace and hold the dinghy, as a wave would try to push forward to the beach. At one point I
Rainbow Though Lighthouse Glass next to Lens
realized I was clamped on the boys shoulder and apologized and tried to clamp on elsewhere on the boat. Dad finally got in and Tom and I pushed it carefully through the waves to get them safely out. They made it to their boat and dad came back with snorkel gear and went searching through the murky water for his anchor and pump. He eventually found them one by one and got back to his dinghy and back to his boat. We had enough sea glass for the day and went back to the house.  It was time for happy hour! Tom and Julie made up a delicious spicy guacamole with my cilantro and I headed to the tower with my violin to get warmed up for a mini concert. Our overnight guests were grilling something that smelled delicious. There was a bit of light rain that chased them in doors for a moment. I got setup in the tower
Cynthia Playing Her Violin in the Tower
and tuned. This time just the D string needed a tiny bit of adjustment. They clambered up with the guacamole and chips and some wine to relax and enjoy my playing. As I was tuning Fred called out from below to look at the fantastic double rainbow that appeared after the little bit of rain. I ran up to the lens level to enjoy the views and snap pictures of the rainbow with the lens. After a bit I went back down to start playing. Funny this time I felt no nervousness at all and just dived in. In hadn’t played since my brother Karl had visited. I went through my favorite songs and stopped to admire the sunset. Our other guests were sitting at sunset bench enjoying the sunset and my music. I did hear applause through the cracked door in the upper tower. I went and finished my Vivaldi piece and winded down with a few others to complete the
Lens in the Late Sun
evening program. My fingers were sore but it was great to play again in my private concert hall. I could finally partake of some wine and we all went back to the living room to chat and relax.

Before it got too late I gathered up lettuces and fixed up nice salads for everyone to eat while the lobsters steamed in the big pot on the stove. Tom and Fred had gone down to the cove and retrieved the lobsters earlier after Jackson left them in the keepers box in the cove. We had 4 yummy lobsters, along with the traditional corn on the cob and potato chips. This time the lobsters were soft-shelled and much easier to handle. I still wore my lime green rubber gloves to rip the beasties apart since there were still sharp spikes along the knuckles. I looked at Julie and she had her
Super-Moon Rise over the Lighthouse
lobster tail out intact in her hands in front of her and she just gazed upon it like a hard won prize – which it was! There is nothing like fresh Maine lobster – food of the gods! We completed our crustaceous feast and retired to the living room for more relaxation and conversation. Later we did break out the ginger brownies, which went perfectly with a bit of bourbon that Tom and Julie graciously brought for us. The brownies got finished up with our delectable sips of the cinnamon colored bourbon and the candle they brought me warmed the living room with its red glowing and scented light. We were all put to sleep by our midnight treat and we all drifted off to bedtime. Dreams of ginger and chocolate sashaying with rich red brown bourbon to draw us gently and subtly into blissful slumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment