Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Day 45, 1 July

5 visitors


Hand Knit Mermaid Dress
Yarn from Sequim, WA - Knit at Seguin Island, ME
A sunny, breezy more humid morning today but very nice on our isle. I got up a bit early to make popovers for everyone and we enjoyed them for breakfast. Kim and I weeded and spread out the seaweed in my garden that we gathered the evening before. Fred went off to weed whack the North trail. Ethan was able to come over with 3 visitors and some lobsters!  I gave a nice tour to a mother and her 2 daughters and Fred and Kim brought up the lobsters in a bucket with seaweed. We put them down in the basement where it was cool. More putzing around my mini gardens and I gave a tour to a nice couple who came over on a sailboat. They had never been to a lighthouse and I gave them a grand tour to our grand Lady. We got back together with Fred and had lunch of guacamole, chips, grapefruit, cheese, salami and crackers. Later Kim and I hiked the South trail taking clippers to trim along the way. I dropped off a ½ gallon of water at the trail junction to bring down later to water my flower box at the kiosk. Fred was still weed whacking. We had a nice hike and came back to the junction where Kim went back up to the house to get her crocs for wading in the water and I continued to the kiosk to water my box. I then went down to the boathouse dock to relax and got a call from Fred and Kim that they were coming down with wine!  So we had a nice happy hour at the dock with the 3
Kim with Crab found in the cove
of us relaxing and talking. Kim really wanted some mussels and ventured out to the cove to look for some. She didn’t find any but did find a big old crab with one claw and we took pictures of ourselves with it before letting it go. We eventually wandered back up to the house to cook the lobsters for dinner. We had them with corn on the cob and potato chips. So Kim finally got her fresh lobster and we were all very happy – mission accomplished! We relaxed in the living room and I started my new knitted dress, a periwinkle blue, fine wool, lace dress. We watched the news and got more and more tired and one by one we went to bed. The knitting was giving me problems and something was not right – I suspected the pattern was incorrect and tried something else which seemed to work and finally went online to check if there were
Lobster Dinner
corrections to the pattern and low and behold there were!  So what I guessed at, turned out to be correct. Not often but occasionally there are errors in patterns and it pays to get online to check before one starts which I should of done but the computer was in use all evening. At least I confirmed it. After 51 years of knitting I can usually figure out fast that something is wrong and fix it.  So I didn’t get to bed till 3 am after washing up but I did figure out the pattern and got 12 rows done!  Visions of knitted blue lace swirling in my head as I drifted quickly off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment