Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Day 59, 15 July

0 visitors

Happy birthday Fred! On this foggy morning. We slept in a bit since there would be no visitors with the lousy weather. Fred went down the Lighthouse trail to the Cove trail and pruned both. I worked on the blog and checked emails. We got a call from home in CA from our house caretakers that there was no water at the house. Not a thing you want to hear when you are 3000 miles from home and it’s over 100 degrees at home. I notified Fred via radio and he raced back from the cove. After many phone calls, Fred got ahold of a well guy and he was going to check it out. It sounds like the well pump went bad. This happened to us 12 years ago. So another thing we have to worry about so far from home.
Close-Up of the Top of the Great Lens
Before lunch we cleared the back of the gift store floor of the bins and stuff. I vacuumed the floor and wiped it down to get the dust off to prepare for painting. We had a nice lunch of leftovers - guacamole with chips, noodles with stroganoff sauce and rice crispy treats for desert. That cleared up some room in the fridge.
After lunch I painted the rest of the gift store floor in the dark red paint and it looked very nice. Fred went out to the North trail to weed whack that. I vacuumed the entire museum and halfway up the stairs to the guest quarters. Later I sat down to write a few emails when a storm squall hit with thunder and lightening and heavy rain. Hope Fred was on his way back! He finally ran into the house totally soaked. The squall passed through with more thunder and lightening and it was exciting! It did calm down with the rain stopping and even a bit of blue sky in places but then it clouded over again and became foggy again in the evening. I thought I heard the foghorn toot a few times but then it stopped and was silent. We do wish that it worked; it is needed on the foggy days. The Coast Guard has been notified twice and still no action. We checked over plugs and boxes and Fred even did a manual test, which worked but it still doesn’t work right.
I went into the gift shop to check the floor and noticed some leaks from the storm and mopped up the water on the newly painted floor. I put some containers out to catch any more rain but didn’t get any since the squall had passed. We noticed it depends on which way the wind blows with the rain as to leakage.
Sky After the First Storm and Before the Second
As evening approached we watched some Big Bang Theory and I knitted while Fred worked on the computer. The well guy did get out to our well and said he would fix it by Thursday at the latest. Hopefully our trees will last in the heat till they can be watered again. Good thing I mostly have cacti inside and outside the house. Our caretakers said they would go get water to water the houseplants. 

At around 8 pm Fred took a shower and I gave myself ballet class for about 1.5 hours. I felt more comfortable on the hardwood floors and they seemed less slippery maybe due to the high humidity which made everything feel more damp and sticky which was good for my pointe shoes on the hardwood. After class I took a shower and then made a salad for dinner. Later Fred cooked up some nice salmon fillets with lemon butter dill sauce for his very quiet birthday dinner. Watched some news and Fallon and off to bed with the heavy fog enveloping our bright little lighthouse upon our silent isle.

1 comment:

  1. Happy joint Birthday to Fred and John! I made shish kebobs and homemade Key Lime Pie in celebration of their birthdays!

    ReplyDelete