Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Day 66, 22 July

49 visitors

Lighthouse in Distance from Southern Trail
Beautiful morning today just like yesterday minus the early visitor but we did get a call from Anne that they were in the cove ready to come up to do work on the kitchen fascia board. We had sent them an email asking when that would get fixed since it was basically open to the elements from the kitchen. We had definite breezes and bugs coming in, more than usual. I had gotten up and raised the flag and started a cup of Chai tea, which was put on hold when I decided on a quick shower and a spruce up of the paying guests quarters since guests were to arrive on the ferry. I made up the full size bed in spite of my sore finger from the yank it got yesterday and swept out the rooms and emptied a bit of trash in the bathroom. Made sure it looked nice and was all ready. We had a few earlier visitors trickle in and Anne and work crew immediately got to serious work. Anne brought us some homemade blueberry coffee cake for breakfast, which was yummy. I started the blog on the porch with my nuked hot Chai tea but put it way for visitors. The ferry showed up with it’s full load and off we went with tours and gift shop sales. Our overnight guests also appeared and introduced themselves – a very nice young family with adorable son and daughter. They saw how busy we were with the all the visitors and we promised them we would get their things up to the house on the tram in a very short time. We did just that to the delight of them and other visitors who got to see the tram in action. At one point I walked around to the gift shop side entrance and a family was having lunch on the landing and offered me half of a Subway sandwich. The lady insisted she was not going to eat it and pleaded for me to accept. So I did and it was delicious since I was so hungry after my small breakfast. They told me to grab a bag of chips and gave me a bottle of water. Fred showed up and noticed me stuffing my face when someone else offered him half a sandwich also and goodies. How nice of this family to offer some of their lunch, maybe we looked gaunt and starving – HA! We even had cookies for dessert.
Another Great Sunset

It was quite busy everyone had to leave on the ferry at 1:30 pm. I went down to see the rest of them off and take a break from the carnage at the house. As we hiked back up to the house our overnight guests were coming down to take a swim in the cove and relax at the low tide beach. A British couple from London had just arrived in their dinghy from their boat and we walked up with them and gave them a tour. They were planning on staying the night in the cove and they enjoyed hiking on every trail on the island. Around 4pm Anne and company left to go home and I came down with our guests to retrieve the lobsters with Fred that were waiting in the cove in the keeper box. Fred rowed out to the buoy where we plucked them from their plastic box of a prison and put them in a bucket. We also brought the good sized keeper box back in the dinghy to let it dry out from all the algae growing on it. We made it back to shore with our guests watching and as I was trying to step out of the back of the dinghy my foot caught on the edge and I just couldn’t get it off in time and I went down on the right knee into the little waves and gravel. It was like slow motion and nothing I could do to get out of the situation. So I got soaked from the waste down and gave quite a show to our guests. At least the lobsters were safe and didn’t get away. Fred and our father of the guest family got the dinghy back in place and I looked for sea glass in the little surf with mom and the kids. We found a few pieces and I gathered some seaweed for the lobsters and the father kindly carried it up for me to the house. Fred stayed down at the cove and stayed to mow the lower areas. I changed into my bamboo dress and out of my wet clothes – hanging them on the clothesline. I then gave our guests their long awaited tour of the lighthouse, which I could give them undivided attention. After the tour I gave Sac a little walk and gave her some treats. It was still nice and sunny and warm and I decided to sit out at the tram bench and work on the blog. I was there enjoying the views and writing with my cocktail for awhile. Fred returned from mowing and went to take a shower. Shortly after he left I noticed a group of people coming up from the trail and went over to greet them at about 7:15 pm. It was a gentleman I had seen last week with family members and this time he had 7 kids and young people with him. He apologized for coming so late but I told him it was not a problem. Some of the kids wanted a tour so I gave them all a nice tour and they went into the gift shop and they got 7 T-shirts!  So that was worthwhile indeed.  Fred fed Sac and I continued to work on the blog. We eventually found time for our lobster dinner. Fred made a nice salad which we ate while we steamed the lobsters. This time we microwaved the 2 ears of corn for 4 minutes in their greenery and they came out perfect. It was quite late and after a few rows of knitting time for bed. Dreams of

wrasseling lobsters with delicious results.

No comments:

Post a Comment