Friday, July 4, 2014

Day 48, 4 July

2 visitors

Seagull Enjoying the Storm
Happy 4th of July!!!! It was mostly overcast with some morning patchy sun which quickly turned to rain periods throughout the day from the storm/hurricane Arthur effects. Around 9:30 am our nice couple from yesterday came up from their boat as promised to do some shopping in our gift store and presented us with a bottle of wine. How thoughtful and kind of them to thank us like that. They had to leave to get to Boothbay and safe from the weather. I pulled a few weeds in my garden and checked my flower gardens and other plantings. Inventoried the gift shop and finally had breakfast/lunch of pizza and strawberries. A shower and made up 2 twin beds, one on each side to ready for the next guests and my brother Karl and his wife Lori. They would be showing up earlier the next week from Alaska for a little visit. So everything
Wild rose covered with raindrops

was ready.  Dr. Fred performed various tasks and went down to the cove to put a new roll of toilet paper in the outhouse. I set down to check email and do my nails. The weather let up a bit with the rain stopping but overcast, warm and humid. I got a call from Fred asking if I wanted to hike the peninsula from Cove to Cobblestone. So I got my rain pants and jacket on in case it started raining – which it did as I started my way down to the cove. I was a little concerned about hiking on the wet rocky cliffs and rocks, but proceeded anyway, being careful. I had my waterproof Boggs boots on and got the feel of them on the wet rocks and felt more assured of no slipping, but was still careful. I already had a bruised back and didn’t need more bruises. My collection of mosquito bites was added to with a bite to the neck as I came down the
Long Exposure Night Photo of Lighthouse with Milky Way in Background
Taken by Adam Woodworth, www.adamwoodworth.com
lighthouse trail earlier. They liked to get my thumbs also when that is the only thing sticking out of my jacket sleeves at night and my thumbs itch. Pesky little bloodsuckers! Fred doesn’t seem to get bit at all.  We had a nice safe hike around to Cobblestone and it was sweltering in the heat and humidity with rain pants on. The rain did pick up more but I took the jacket off to cool off during the hike. Back to the house we went to relax and start the blog. I called my brother Karl who had a delayed flight to Boston from the storm but he and Lori had made it and they had just gotten to Rockport where they will be visiting friends for a few days before coming to visit us. We heard from Kim and turns out the flights were cancelled in Portland and she drove all night to Wash Dulles to catch a flight back to Denver. Got word that her lobsters that she ordered and had sent home, got back before she did!
Since the rain was very heavy we relaxed inside and had a nice dinner of salad, grilled sole with leftover risotto. We did bit more knitting and watching the news and call it a day and then off to bed. 

This is Fred, I have included another long exposure night shot of the light house with the milky way in the background. It was taken by Adam Woodworth.  He was nice enough to allow me post his picture.  His website is www.adamwoodworth.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment