Monday, July 7, 2014

Day 51, 7 July

4 visitors

We woke up to a blustery morning and the word from Ethan that he would bring out my brother and sister-in-law tomorrow at eleven. He did tell us the evening before that he thought it would probably be Tuesday. I called Karl and let him know. They were all ready to come but would go strawberry picking and wine tasting instead today – sounds like fun!
French made label from the Fresnel Lens
I decided to call the lady at Avian Haven to tell her that we released Arthur. She didn’t sound too thrilled and grilled me with questions but thanked me for returning her call and looking after Arthur. After the call I went down the trail to check again on him and right before the nest area scared up an adult seagull on the big rock!  That had to have been mama – she would sit there when she was nesting – oh that was a very good sign. She wouldn’t be there if he wasn’t nearby or dead. Maybe I should have taken a look but I just got the hell out of there so she would return and care for him. I just know she was there for him, like she was before the hurricane. I rushed back to the house to tell Fred and call back Avian Haven to let the lady know – she felt that yes, it was a very good sign and thanked me for the call. I do hope she is there caring for her last baby. Good thing it is quiet today and no visitors to hike on the trail to disturb them.
The great Lens!
We had leftover pancakes for breakfast and finally finished them up from Kim’s visit. I washed the dishes and sat down to write the blog when I heard visitors. It was a family of 4 adults and big black lab who were FOSIL members and visitors every summer. I gave them a nice tour and we chatted a bit. They decided to take a hike before eating lunch and I brought out Sac and brushed her a bit and started weeding in my garden. There was just the middle section to clear of weeds and I wanted to get it done today! So several hours later I finally finished weed picking and was hungry for lunch. Fred to a short break down at the cove and then started mowing the cove area. This was his first use of the new “used” mower for the cove use.  Much better than the old one, no self propelled or other options, just a light weight simple mower.  He gave me a radio call mentioning lunch and I had a little bit of weeding left before heading down. I packed up a tote bag of cheese, salami, crackers, hummus, coleslaw, pasta and cherries for a nice lunch at the boathouse dock in the warm sunshine and calmer winds. We had a nice lunch and I curled up again with the Icelandic book and read some before falling asleep and the clouds came in to cool off the temperature. Fred picked up where he left off and continued to mow the cove area.  Back up to the house to put stuff away then worked on the blog.   After mowing Fred pruned the cove and main trials, which needed it badly after the recent rains.  He then applied another, and hopefully final coat of joint compound in the guest quarters.
Interesting clouds marking the approaching storm that night
I worked on the blog after getting back to the house and got Sac’s dinner together. At around 8 pm I decided to do more cleaning on Beauty during the sunset and into dusk.

Got back to take a shower and Fred made a salad for dinner. We also had some clam chowder and strawberries and lemon cookies for dessert. A little bit of knitting on the hem of my second dress and then got too sleepy so off to bed. Off to bed still thinking about little Arthur and wondering if the weather will cooperate to allow Karl and Lori to come ashore tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment