Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Day 67, 23 July

8 visitors

Coast Guard Boat in the Cove
We were notified last night that we wouldn’t be going off the island (what else is new) since the sea state would be picking up to small craft advisory stage in the afternoon. We could get off OK but might not be able to make it back. We did get up at 7 am to assist our overnight family with departure. Fred brought their stuff down on the tram and we milled around the boat dock and beach till Ethan arrived. We got the family aboard the Guppy and Ethan sped away with them. I decided to dump our lobster dinner remains on Cobblestone beach and prune the trail as I went. About hallway I got a call from Fred on the radio that the Coast Guard were here! He was going to meet them. I hurried to Cobblestone beach to dump lobster remains and hurried back to the house. I could see the Coast Guard boat moored in the cove with 4
Cyn with the three Coasties who fixed the Fog Signal Behind them
coasties aboard. I went back to the house and on down to the foghorn building where 3 coasties were working on the foghorn. I was immediately greeted by one young man, who shook my hand. Fred was with them observing what they were doing. I went back to the house to check on Sac and try to eat something and change into a Coast Guard top that I had gotten at the USCG Academy years ago when our nephew Chris graduated from there. I noticed the snicker doodle cookies I made yesterday and thought they might like some and put 3 in a baggie. I then whipped up some chocolate cookies and put them in the oven. I was able to get the first set out and cooled. I had to take Sac out for her morning walk and business. I got 3 chocolate cookies in a baggie and Fred called to come over to give them the cookies and get a picture
Coast Guardsman Departing the Island with Their Gear
taken. The guys were happy to see fresh made cookies and my top and I had my picture taken with them by the foghorn that they hopefully fixed. We took one of the coasties who had never been on the island to see the great lens, which he appreciated. As he went down the stairs Ken and a sculptor came up to see the lens and chat a bit. The sculptor man was scoping out the island to possibly make a nice sculpture out of old tram wire and other discarded metal items to leave on the island for display. I was going to go to the cove to see the coasties off but got side tracked by a phone call and then noticed that Sue and Dave were here doing some work in the museum and gift shop.  Fred chatted with them some more while they waited for their ride to return after tended some buoy in the area.  So there went my tea
Flower from the Cove Flower Box that Cyn Planted
and trip to the cove but I had a fun chat with our friends and checked again on Sac. It was a busy morning with all the unexpected visitors and when they finally all left I got to my Chai tea and some chocolate cookies and banana. Finished the blog from yesterday and started this one and then went down to the cove to see what Fred had accomplished and resumed pruning.  Fred week whacked the Cobblestone trail and around the tram supports in the cove area.  I pruned down the Cove trail and took my walk around the peninsula on the cliffs back to Cobblestone beach. I sadly found the magnificent black back seagull that I saw last week with the injured wing. I feared he wouldn’t make it. Even in death he looked beautiful and was quite a large bird. I felt so sorry that he suffered so much. I saw some baby seagulls and thought about how new life and death resided so close together. Perhaps one of these babies is his offspring and he will live on. The black back was resting in a pretty spot between two tiny ponds – rest well, you fly and soar in another place now.
I got back around to Cobblestone beach and saw the seagulls had a feast from the lobster remains I had left. In the distance along the cliffs were many more seagulls and their young.
I wondered if Arthur was amongst them and closer to the sea from his South trail nest – I certainly hope so. As I walked back on Cobblestone trail I pruned and got back to the kiosk in time to see Fred finishing using the tram. I went down to the cove beach and had a fun time wading in the surf and water picking up multi-colored beach glass – such treasures!

By now it was about 4:30and we were starving. Fred went back up to the lighthouse and was mowing the lawns near the house while I checked on Sac and made grill cheese and crabmeat melt sandwiches with clam chowder for a late lunch. After lunch I went back to writing more blog and a quick nap. Fred finished the mowing and was preparing for our trip to town tomorrow.  Dinner was beef stroganoff, which turned out delicious with light cream cheese used instead of sour cream. We also had a nice salad to start with.

The evening was quite warm and muggy with a constant supply of black beetles invading everywhere. Went to bed late and couldn’t stop thinking about the poor black back lying in eternal slumber, wishing I could have done something to help him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment