Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Day 17, 3 June

0 visitors


Seguin Island flower at cobblestone beach
I got a good early start today and weed whacked the Cobblestone, Lighthouse and South trails today.  I was careful to avoid and quickly get by various seagull nests with 2 to 3 eggs in them.  A couple of seagulls dived very close to my head (2-3 feet) as I approached an area near the tip with lots of nests.  I retrieved a couple of planters from under the porch for Cynthia.  She planted lavender in them later in the day.  Earlier she went down to the cove and hand watered the flower box she planted yesterday with flower seeds. She took a walk down cobblestone trail to the rock cliffs where the flowers were blooming even more. She enjoyed scurrying up and down the rocks and watching the crashing waves on the distant rocks. Since I got an early start I thought I could enjoy the sun and relax a little this afternoon.  I took my
Cobblestone Beach on east side of island
iPad down to a calm area near the whistle house and lay down in the grass for well over an hour reading old issues of Time.  While I was being lazy, Cynthia worked for over three hours in her little garden planting all kinds of seeds in the, hopefully rich soil.  This is the garden area used by past keepers and the one I spent considerable time on clearing and getting it ready for Cyn.  She planted various types of carrots, spinach, peas, beans, cucumbers, oregano, cilantro, basil, arugula, lettuce, beets and pumpkins.  She labeled everything she planted in neat little rows in the approximately 8 foot circular garden.  It will be fun to see what grows.  While she was finishing up the garden, I decided to take a bunch of our stuff that goes to town tomorrow down the tram to the cove.  Empty fuel, water, food and cooler containers were
Cynthia planting seeds in her little garden
most of it.  Tomorrow morning we will still have to bring our laundry and trash down to the cove.  Back to the tram.  Another reason for taking the tram down the hill is it will ready to head up with the Wednesday Warrior’s stuff when they arrive as we leave in the morning.  Unfortunately, I had a slight problem.  About 1/8 the way down the down spool (the one the pulls the tram down the tracks) stopped wrapping and got very loose. I stopped the tram immediately.  Walking up the tram, just above tower 46, a board had come loose and was jammed against the front axel.  I went down to the cove and moved the tram up about 20 feet to unbind everything.  I took the slack out of the cables before moving it.  I got a bunch of wood screws and the power drill and fastened the plank down.  I inspected the tram top to bottom and secured
Fred in shorts inspecting and repairing the tram
about 8-10 other boards that were loose.  I then took a hammer and pounded down all nails that needed it.  I am sure over the winter; some of the nails work themselves out.  At any rate, it works fine now and I got the tram to the bottom.  Unfortunately, the downhill axel makes an awful lot of noise.  Ethan and I tried to get grease in the axel but apparently were unsuccessful.  Hopefully, one of the Wednesday Warriors can look at this and try something else.  Cynthia made a nice salad and we ate outside sitting on “sunset” bench and watched, you guessed it, the sunset.  You could see clouds in the distance. Tomorrow and Thursday it is supposed to be rainy.  This will be good for the garden.  For dinner we had the leftover chicken/asparagus casserole with the salad. Cynthia just went up in the lighthouse to say
Seguin Island fresnel Lens, note prism effects
good night to the other woman that has entered our lives.  The other woman being, the now polished and glimmering, Fresnel lens.  Cynthia decided the lens’s gender was female.  With all the colors it radiates and sparkles, I tend to agree.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful picture of the lens with rainbow colors. I really enjoyed the picture of Cyn inside cleaning it as well.
    Cathy G.

    ReplyDelete