Monday, June 2, 2014

Day 16, 2 June

0 visitors

Another sunny gorgeous morning to greet us today in shorts. Fred went down to the cove area to mow the lawns while I opted to finish the hand shearing of the step edges to get rid of the high grass the mower missed. Two days of hand shearing was getting very tiring to my fragile hands and I was glad I got that done and it looks very nice.
Cyn cleaning the lens, look hard, she is inside the lens!

We took a break around 4 PM and relaxed at the Boathouse deck with a snack over looking the cove and even got some micro naps in in the hazy sunshine with the waves making an occasional crash and shaking the deck. We got back to the house and I made up some guacamole for later. I noticed they didn’t have the spicy powdered guac mix at Shaw’s like they do in CA. Wonder if I can find some jalapeno powder somewhere to spice it up. Late afternoon Fred went down the North trail to spray for poison ivy and I tackled the high inside of the lens. The step stool just fit inside the smaller dimensioned inside with the hot, 1000 watt bulb really heating the interior up. Even though it was past 6 PM and sun very low it was a sauna in there. I carefully and patiently cleaned all the
Kitchen in the keeper quarters
way up to the small panels of prisms on the very top that I could barely reach with the Swiffer. I did eventually wrap a micro fiber cloth around the Swiffer and just one small squirt of cleaning mixture to clean way up there. I found it was better not to use much mixture or it would leave lots of droplets on the glass and really take awhile to wipe it down – better to use less. Again needed to wipe down with a more dry cloth after that. I did the lower prisms with my hands that I could reach.  So 2.5 hours later and after the sunset (and a noticeably bit cooler) I was done and exhausted on being on my feet and toes reaching for all that time. I think my ballet training came into good play while on my tippy toes and standing/balancing on the stool. I did gingerly hang on usually with one delicate hand on major metal supports around the lens. When I did that white paint flakes did fall from the old supports, which I brushed up later. Oh, but did she ever look magnificent in all her shiny clean glory!! She absolutely sparkled and I was so pleased so see her so happy.  Down on the ground in daylight or night
Sunset out through the lighthouse windows
the rainbows off the prisms really seemed to stand out – happy lens indeed!  Fred had made a salad while I finished up in the tower. Finally time to relax a little in the living room with knitting and wine. At 8:43 pm we ran out of the house to see the space station go sailing by overhead – they had just mentioned it in the news. We like to do that – watch for the space station when we get reports of it. Finally we decided to have dinner of salad and crab cakes. We watched more news and Fred went to bed. I did more knitting and detangled an abhorrent yarn skein that self-destructed. Finally a shower and bed at 2 am. Good night my sweet lens – glow so prettily in the star encrusted night.

Blog Tips:  Click on the figures for larger versions and when commenting, please sign your first name if you would like a reply.  Otherwise we have no way to tell who left the message.  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Skip all the endless mowing and use some "kill all greenery". But on the other hand you have all those years in the high desert of no lawn cutting to make up for, now you know what you have been missing.
    Fred - Cyn have you ever owned a lawn mower?
    Dick, at not going to put down any fertilizer this year, makes the grass grow too much CT.

    ReplyDelete