Sunday, June 29, 2014

Day 43, 29 June

37 visitors

Ethan DeBery's Leeward unloading visitors, our friend Kim is in pink
A gorgeous morning today started off with two visitors at around 9:30 am. I was still in my nightshirt and gave them a tour in that! Just had an hour then to shower, eat something and get down to the cove to meet the ferry. Our friend Kim was to arrive! Fred went down a little early to do a few things including gathering more seaweed for my garden. Our overnight guests said they had slept great and were still enjoying the island. A few more private boats showed up with more people. The ferry showed up with more people including Kim. We met her at the beach and helped carry her stuff to the tram. While she and I walked up to the house Fred loaded the cart to bring up on the tram. As soon as we got to the top and unloaded stuff from the tram I went to work giving tours. Later Fred and I switched and I worked the gift shop. We had a steady stream of visitors for a few hours. Sac was outside in the shade and many people greeted her and petted her. She was very happy to see her Auntie. She was just a pup the last time.  We had a nice young couple who had arrived on the ferry and the gentleman proposed to his lady on the beautiful afternoon. I believe he proposed to her at sunset bench. She said yes! I later gave them a tour of the lighthouse and noticed her very pretty engagement ring and told them congratulations. While I was on the tower, another family was eating lunch at the picnic table when I heard Fred asking a little boy not to dig in my rock gardens. He started digging up my little garden areas, which I have been trying to grow for weeks and some did have tiny seedlings in them. I was very dismayed at the damage and all my effort that was destroyed. Another area that clearly had little plants in it had a big fat footprint in it. I was rather pissed at these people who had no care or concern about the property that obviously had plantings in them. What were they going to do next? Rip up my big garden circle and knock over my flowerpots? Come on people have some respect and care!!!!!!!
Fred helping the passengers off the raft and on the beach
Dave Powers showed up in the tower with a Coastie named Jim. I learned some new and interesting info from Dave about the lens and tower. I gave them a nice tour and Jim was very appreciative of our care of the station and particularly of the lens. He could see how much we cared for her and how well she looked. He also mentioned how much they actually did use her to help guide them and again thanked me for taking such good care of her. How nice it was to have such appreciation voiced from one who did depend on her, another particular aspect of being a keeper of the light that is not always directly heard.
We finally were able to have some lunch at 3:30 pm. Kim chopped up some cheeses and salami and we had that with crackers, hummus, olives, watermelon and cherries. After lunch Kim and I took a hike down to the cove and picked up some beach glass and then hiked Cove trail and hiked along the rock cliffs to Cobblestone trail and back to the kiosk where we hiked back up to the house. Fred gave a tour to a nice couple from New Zealand who arrived on a nice big catamaran. They have been sailing all over the world for 14 years! 
Beautiful Night shot of Seguin Island Lighthouse
Photo by Jon Secord, www.jssecord.com
We relaxed in the evening with some delicious sangria that Kim brought from Whole Foods.
Kim made some phone calls to family members and we then took her up to the tower for her first look at the light. The afternoon was so busy that she didn’t get a chance to go up. So we gave her a nice sunset tour and enjoyed our special time with Beauty. We went down to start dinner of salads and grilled salmon. Kim brought a delicious mango salsa that was perfectly matched on the salmon. We relaxed more in the living room and I worked on sewing my knitted dress together – getting the remaining side done and one sleeve sewn on. We finally watched the news at 11pm and looked at some Seguin photos on the computer. One of the photographers, Jon Secord, from the night photo session the other night sent Fred one of his photos, which was breathtaking. The night view was of the lighthouse and house from the oil house path and the Milky Way was brilliantly blazed across the starlight skies. We can’t wait to see his other photos.  His business is J Secord Photography and his website is www.jsecordphoto.com.  He was gracious enough to allow us to share his photo.

We all got so tired from our tiring day and off to bed. Visions of my stomped on and mutilated gardens saddening my restless dreams.

2 comments:

  1. Milky Way abundant light sources in the black sky
    An awesome view rarely seen living in the city of man made lights
    It seems the old beacon tireless is saying hi!

    A hi or bye who knows why?
    In infinite time this light house will not be shy

    Adonis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you put KEEP OUT signs in your gardens?

    ReplyDelete