Saturday, June 14, 2014

Day 28, 14 June

2 visitors

Harmless Garter Snak
Today is flag day! Ours is up as it is everyday when we raise it around 8am every morning. The day started off with some fog, which quickly lifted to some sunshine and then clouds came in for some showers and it turned partly cloudy/sunny for a pleasant day, though the grass was wet from the storms and the trails soggy. Fred went down to the cove first thing in the morning to throw the lobster debris from the previous dinner on the beach on Cobblestone beach.  On the way he spotted a little garter snake.  I moved around my rain sodden flower pots and Fred put some holes in the boxes for drainage. Fred also did poo duty and performed the two-week maintenance on the composting toilets in the house. He also cleaned up the beach by moving large pieces of wood above the high tide line. The storm removed a lot of organic debris that was on the cove beach area. I gave Sacatar a good brushing and clipped her nails outside and she looks all pretty now.  She is limping on her right rear leg where she had ACL surgery 13 years ago and we are very concerned. She has arthritis and it is hard for her to get around on uneven ground and steps. We hope it is just a strain and it will heal – the old girl doesn’t need this.  She seems to like the massages I give her on her leg and it calms her.
Ducks in the cove, counted 55 baby chicks!

Later in the afternoon I went down the Cove Trail and Cobblestone trail and clipped overhanging foliage to clear up the trails for hikers. While I was doing that 2 visitors stopped up at the house from their sailboat moored in the cove. I saw the boat and dinghy in the cove and then when I emerged at the cove trail end I noticed they had gone ashore. I called Fred on the radio hoping he was hosting our guests. As I went back on the trail and was in the picnic area, I could see him on the tower giving them a tour. I found a nice green and hot pink buoy on the beach at the end of Cove trail and brought it back up to hang on the kiosk. Then I went over to the cobblestone trail and clipped away over there to the end where I laid down the clippers and gloves and decided to walk around
Wild Rose between cobblestone beach and the cove
the island edge on the rock cliffs back to the Cove trail. It was low tide and a pleasant hike to do. As I was about 1/3 around Fred joined me and we had a nice hike together, he told me about the guests and how he sold $23 worth of stuff and used the new digital credit card reader on his iPhone to make the purchase. He did check it out in the morning and we bought a Frisbee with it. We relaxed at the cove at very low tide watching the ducks and their babies and I picked up some more beach glass. This morning, Fred counted 55 chicks in the cove.  We had a dinner of patty melts – Fred grilled the burgers and I grilled up some onions and the rye bread with cheese. They turned out pretty good. We retired with a movie and more knitting for the evening and off to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Appledore Island, SW of you on the NH ME border, about the same size as your island. Can you imagine 10,000 nests, that's the estimated # when I spent a Summer there?

    ReplyDelete