Thursday, June 12, 2014

Day 26, 12 June

0 visitors

Today was a quiet day with the incoming cold front and rain approaching. The morning was nice and I went down to the cove to use the outhouse and then took a walk down the Cove trail to see all the ducks and their babies happily cruising the cove. At the little bench I diverted to the pretty rock cliffs and picked my way down to the point and looked for beach glass in the pebbles and around the bigger rock formations. The ducks were sitting around here but all went in the water as I approached. I sat and watched them for a little while, enjoying their little family groups. I got my pocket full of diamonds, emeralds and a nice big sapphire and hiked back up the rock cliffs again to the bench and back on the trail to the tram and Donkey house. One stretch of cliffs has an incredible big white rock sill with a great big twist in it. There is also a tiny thin white sill twisting near it. The twisted rock patterns all around the island on the rock cliffs present a myriad wonderland to explore.
Twisted rock formation
Also all over the island the flora changes by the day with old flowers fading and new ones emerging to create pleasing visual and olfactory sensations for lucky hikers. Honeysuckle is blooming all over which I loved as a kid to actually suck on the end of the blossom to get it’s sweet nectar. I believe I saw a pink honeysuckle bush back near Popham Beach when I went walking back to get the car. There was white and lilac colored, sweet, smelling lilac bushes on the mainland also. On the island around any bend or hill could be a new baby or family to see. Or a new dive bomber from the skies protecting their nests or young.  Fred was actually hit in the head by a protectant mother who swooped down on him.  No damage to either.

Seagulls on interesting rock formations
Before the rain Fred weed whacked the North Trail and cut the grass on the upper areas. I took on the job of filling some long square and smaller round flowerpots with soil. I then proceeded to carefully plant various flower seeds. I hope to have some pretty portable flower gardens to decorate our charming abode on our little mountaintop in the sea.  More and more plants are sprouting in my big vegetable garden and flower box down below. Looking for more areas to plant seeds. It will be fun to see what comes up and thrives. How funny – me from the severe, dry desert planting like a mad woman on the moist enchanted isle. There are actually a number of little ecosystems within the island, some areas that look like a mini rainforest, a tiny bog complete with swamp and cattails and the high windy rock and grass bluffs favored for lookouts and nesting homes of the seagulls, ducks and geese. It is nice to take a different hike everyday on the trails and see old friends and discover new ones with the ever-changing weather and season.
White Chokecherry Flower
Yellow Flower

The rain started to come around 6Pm as Fred was frantically trying to finish up the mowing before the heavy rain and I moved my flowerpots to inside the protected porch area to finish my seeding.  We had a reverse dinner of fresh baked peanut butter cookies, then salad and then pork chops. I baked the cookies on a nice new airflow cookie sheet that we got in town. The old battered one drove me crazy with the cookies fusing themselves onto it. How nice to have cookies just slide right off the new sheet. Fred cooked up the pork chops in a nice new Teflon frying pan, again the meat just sliding right off instead of imbedding itself into the pan. We will leave these items here as donations to the house as well as a bunch of other things that we got that are needed (stepstools and coasters!) – our pleasure to do that.  Watched the news and Jimmy Fallon and off to bed – dreams of sliding cookies and slippery skillets.

No comments:

Post a Comment