Monday, June 23, 2014

Day 37, 23 June

5 visitors

Another nice, warm sunny morning to begin the day. After raising the flag and taking Sac out for the morning I made some berry bran muffins for breakfast. I made some guacamole for lunch and snacking – this time with a spicy moist mix I found in the little market in Bath. It does taste a lot better than the bland powder mix at Shaw’s, though it could use a bit more spice. I did buy some Mexican spice blend, which I have to try. Fred cut the grass on the upper areas and I tended to my garden for the afternoon. I removed some weeds from the big garden and moved some extra pumpkin seedlings to an area near the annex where I cleared weeds there to make room.  I brought Sac out and she enjoyed lying on the grass and snoozing near me as I worked in the dirt. She still has trouble walking and squatting but her tenseness and agitation from pain seems to be virtually gone. We take it day by day. In the afternoon we had just 5 visitors come up to the lighthouse for a visit, a young mother with her 4 beautiful daughters. They were locals and love coming here. Her husband and son were just off the island fishing in a boat. The mom and girls did take a nice little hike down to Cobblestone beach.
Old iron stairway leading up to the lighthouse
We had a photographer today taking pictures of the lighthouse for Downeast magazine, http://www.downeast.com, which sounded like the New England equivalent of Arizona Highways.  He was here from 1600 till 2030.  Fred rowed him out to a boat waiting to take him back at dusk.  Nice guy, really expensive camera equipment.  Like a 18mm fisheye looking lens that adjusts for the parallax of wide angle lens by automatically moving up and down on a small track at the lens mount.  He always took three pictures, sometimes on a tripod, automatically taking 3 different exposures which he could blend together later to get optimal exposure. Fred allowed him in the Fresnel lens telling him to take special care with his equipment.  He was very careful and professional.  Fred is in some of the pictures.  The article is supposed to be published in September. I laid down to take a nap at around 5:30 pm and didn’t wake up till about 9:30 pm. I was exhausted from not getting much sleep the past couple of days. So around 10 pm we had salads and Fred fixed hamburgers for a late dinner and watched the news. I got more knitting done and am almost finished the other half of my dress. It will be nice to complete it and start on my other dress. I did get the yarn I ordered from Halycon and it will make a gorgeous sweater that I have a pattern for from South Africa. It is tempting to start one of the sweaters from the yarn I got at Halcyon. I have 4 bundles of yarn waiting for me in the car. I got some nice handspun local yarn in Lake Placid when we came through there.
Luna Moth (Photo downloaded from internet)
I found out some info on the Luna moth I saw a few weeks ago. The rare creatures only live a week and they have no mouths and do not eat. They exist for a week to lay their eggs. So it was a very rare sighting indeed! I’m so glad I got to see one.
Fred got a nice email from his cousin Jim that we got to visit with at Christmas time in Michigan. Jim and his wife Carol have been reading our blog and he wrote a wonderful, hilarious ditty related to our Seguin lighthouse keeping in his unique folk style of music. Please have a listen and enjoy. http://youtu.be/Fm-c6dUobT4

Now I’ll be looking around for that mischievous mermaid!

3 comments:

  1. Loved the You Tube video. The banjo player is very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Brunch Friends had such a hilarious time learning the song and acting silly for our video!

    ReplyDelete