Sunday, June 1, 2014

Day 15, 1 June

4 visitors

Cozy living room and keepers quarters
A glorious warm sunny morning to start the day – in shorts! Ethan brought over 4 visitors and dropped them off while he gave a sight seeing tour around the island to others. We had fun hosting a couple from Quebec and an enthusiastic lighthouse lover and her son from PA.  I sold a winter hat and a book today and used the old fashioned credit card machine for the first time! While Fred mowed the grass again with the riding and hand mower, I worked on chopping the bits of unsightly taller grass tuffs at the sidewalk and step edges using hand shears or just my hands to rip out the grass. An occasional spider, bug or earthworm would surface and scurry away. An earthworm – hadn’t seen those in years. We
Coast late in the day
don’t have them in the sandy desert soils. I safely put him in another area where he sank back into the grass and earth. We worked on the lawn till about 3 pm and had a break for lunch – French bread pizzas and the last 2 corn on the cobs and grapefruit. Back to work – Fred finishing clearing my garden circle and transplanting some of the chives that were there. He also went down the south trail spraying for poison ivy. I went down to the Donkey House where I put flower seeds in a wooden planter that Fred dragged out from the Donkey house. So we will see if anything sprouts up. I then decided to hike down the Cobblestone trail with hand shears to snip any wayward obstacles. I was wearing my five finger shoes with socks and insole support. I hadn’t worn these in months and was wearing them all day today. I had to be a bit careful on the cobblestones but climbing on the bigger rocks was no problem. I spied some lovely little purplish flowers that were coming out in abundance that were not out previously. I opted to stay more in the grassy areas off of the cliffs and rocks and passed by a number of seagull nests with their speckled eggs. The waves were crashing offshore and looking and hearing dramatic and I took some pictures. I picked my way around to the Cove trail stopping to admire and enjoy my island paradise. How very lucky I am to be here. I got around to the cove side and admired the beauty of the birds in the water with the low sun silhouetting them in an idyllic scene. The boathouse looked charming with the tram to the left and the great lighthouse tower peeking out to the far upper right. Again – am I really here at this tranquil place? I hope the serenity and beauty of this bucolic isle never leaves me.
Cynthia at sunset with a deserved cocktail 
Well it is getting late and I return to the house via the main trail, smelling the sweet scent of some spring flowers somewhere around me. Fred gets the flag down and we fold it. I admire the totally cleared out garden area and we go sit on the sunset bench to enjoy sunset and view MT. Washington 86 miles in the distance. Back inside to relax and knit a bit and finally I decide to make a chicken and asparagus casserole that I found in a recipe book. I cooked it with our garden chives and a cheese sauce I made. Into the shower while it’s cooking and finally at around 11 pm we have dinner including the salad Fred made. A few more rows of knitting and I am too tired to continue and off to bed.


1 comment:

  1. My 12 year old grandson and I were the visitors this day along with the French Canadian couple. We were visiting lighthouses all along the coast of Maine and both of us decided that our visit to Sequin was our favorite. It is an unbelievably beautiful site, a jewel along the Maine coast. Cynthia has done an amazing job on the Fresnel Number one lens. A lot of work! On our flight back to PA my grandson told me that he left $5 as a donation to the lighthouse, which was a surprise to me. He is very careful with his money so that $5 meant a lot to him.
    When you are on Sequin or even approach the island, you are very aware of the remote, starkness of it but your connection to others and to the natural world quickly overrides that initial impression and an appreciation of our place on this planet is what remains. I will never forget the few hours that I spent on Sequin.

    ReplyDelete