Monday, June 9, 2014

Day 23, 9 June


The "Rebal" checking his traps, Gilmore's boat
5 visitors

Another beautiful, sunny, warm day with little wind. I got up to raise the flag and then started popovers. This time I used a light butter and they turned out even puffier than last time. We had them with butter, honey, pumpkin butter and my friend’s (Kim) homemade jam that she gave us for Christmas. Fred went down to the South Trail and watched Gilmore’s lobster boat, “The Rebel” do some lobstering. He waved at them and snapped some pictures. We saw him later as he passed by below us from the sunset bench out from the house. We looked at my garden and little plants are popping up! They are popping up in my flower box at the cove also! After doing the blog I headed down to the cove to do some letter painting. A couple of our signs down there have some of the black letters peeling or fading so I thought I’d spruce
Black lettering freshly painted on the warning sign
them up. First I headed for the little beach, which was at a good low tide and picked up lots of beach glass – my diamonds, emeralds, and a rare sapphire for the pickings. I found a few porcelain pieces also with blue or green on them. For the painting, I used my own paintbrushes I brought since I couldn’t find any. I tackled the big “Do Not Anchor” sign first. It is mounted on the railing of the decking near the boathouse. I’m able to go on the rock cliff formations below it and stand or sit and paint the letters. It’s a big sign and took me about 2 hours to complete –it does look a lot better, though I need some red paint to complete some trim work. While painting, groups of ducks would swim in the calm cove with their little chicks, their gentle quacks making for a soothing and relaxing afternoon. I would turn and look to see their
Honeysuckle down near the cove
progress around the cove. At one point I heard some water movement with a scream and there was a naked Fred running into the water for a very brief swim in the very cold water, though he did go in a second time.  He had been doing chores including replacing in a kiosk, a map and putting in our pictures and bio about us being the 2014 summer keepers. After finishing the big sign I went and repainted a smaller sign on the boathouse railing that had words about the lighthouse, museum and gift shop. I made their black letters look nice and new again. While painting that sign I heard honks and looked to see a pair of Canadian geese fly in together to land in the cove. A little time later we looked up to see a gorgeous hawk hit the water with its talons bared and snagged a fish!  The water was tranquil and clear in the
Sunset at Seguin Island
calm cove. Fred had gone out in the dinghy to secure our keeper box for lobster that we will get later in the week. He also did a little rowing about the cove. I had to paint the smaller sign by leaning over the railing and painting it upside down but it turned out good and looked great. So again another great day accomplished and I hiked back up to the house – starving since I had no lunch again. Fred made a salad and I poached up our fresh scallops and boiled up some pasta to go with it. We watched some evening news and then a movie! Fred had recorded a bunch onto DVD’s before we left California and we watched The Lone Ranger, which was entertaining. More knitting and finally I did some weights, stretching and exercises before a late bedtime.

1 comment:

  1. The lens multiplier.
    A candle in the wind as vulnerable as a sheep near wolves
    But then, a candle in a tower dressed up in a lens outfit!

    A distant star flickering it's photons
    A distant land marking it's fixed position
    A tender light keeper tuned in sound bites
    Cleansing dust particles with a smile

    I hope Poseidon will tame his horses
    When I arrive at this landmark
    But then ... let loose to chaotic waves
    Great photo moments need salt sprays! 

    ReplyDelete