Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Day 38, 24 June

4 visitors

The sleeping seal pup Cynthia found near Cobblestone Beach
A sunny morning to start off with and then a breeze picked up and it got partly cloudy. The temperature was mild though and Sac enjoyed being outside all day in the grass and near the picnic table in the shade. We had breakfast outside on the picnic table and I poked around my garden pulling out little weeds and moving a few seedlings around. Later I went down to the cove and hiked the Cove trail to the end taking a few pictures of a mermaid amphitheater and the ducks. I then went down the Cobblestone trail and went to the right onto the rock cliff areas. I circled back going low for a change and on a low ledge area I came upon a small sleeping seal. The little guy was sound asleep and totally dry. His silvery fuzzy coat looked so snug and warm. At first I thought he was dead since he was so still and snapped a picture from
Close-up of his cute little face (not zoomed in)

behind him. I circled around and saw that he was breathing and snapped another picture including a close up of his face. I started to back up and he suddenly awoke with a sleepy, startled look in his huge black eyes. I tried to back up quickly so I wouldn’t scare him but he started wriggling to the ocean and slipped into the sea. I saw him surface and he was a deep grey color now that he was wet. My gift from the sea returned to his domain. So I was very glad I ventured down there to have a look. Like I said before, you never know what you may find around a bend around here. 

We had a nice big lunch of French bread pizzas, chicken noodle soup and grapefruit. After lunch Fred tackled the weed whacking of the old oil tank concrete footings.
Concrete oil tank footings after Fred cleared them of very tall vegetation 

I gathered the sales sheet and visitor log -in page and the cash and credit card slip from sales together to give to Catherine in the office.  Later I opted to go up in the tower to play my violin for 2 hours. I’d pop up to the lens level occasionally to look around and check on Sac and Fred weed whacking the tank area and about the island. With the 360-degree view you can see most everything from up there. After our respective activities we both took a hike down South Trail to see what was going on, on the south end of the island.  We passed the seagull sitting on her nest with three eggs. She flew off and we noticed the chicks were beginning to peck through. We quickly reached the south end and sat down to enjoy the views and
Flag blowing in stiff wind

waves. We went back again disturbing our mother gull but she went back immediately to the nest as we passed. She knew her little ones were arriving. We did see a powerboat moored in the cove from the vista point off the South trail not far from the tram. It was now about 7 pm and wondered if they would spend the night (they did). We got a message from Ethan that we would not be going ashore tomorrow since the sea states would be high.  We went back to the house to feed Sac and relax a bit. I finished the other half of my dress. Now I have to block it, sew it together and knit the collar on it. I decided to do some ballet since it had been two weeks since I worked out in ballet. Fred relaxed and worked on the computer. It was about 10:30 pm by then and Fred laid down to take a nap. I was rather tired and just had some chips and
Nice powerboat moored in cove that spent the night there

guacamole. We were too tired to fix anything more and eventually went to bed, dreams of fuzzy little seals dozing on rocky ledges.

No comments:

Post a Comment