Monday, June 16, 2014

Day 30, 16 June

0 visitors

A gorgeous beautiful calm day was in store for us today. I went down to the cove to finish painting the “Do Not Anchor” sign. It needed a bit of red trim on it. While I was painting it a speedboat came into the cove and moored for about ½ hour. I waved hello to them and they waved back. They seemed to just relax and maybe have lunch and didn’t come ashore.
Tram area before brush removal
Tram area after brush removal
While I was painting, Fred worked hard on clearing the brush from under the tram – a big job. After we were both done after about 2 hours, we both relaxed at the cove and decided to take a little paddle in the dinghy since it was such a beautiful calm afternoon in the cove. The storm on Friday really changed the cove debris and there were two big logs together that the dinghy was up and over and to the left side more near the steps. Fred got the dinghy ready and we climbed in for a nice row around the cove. We spied some duck families running up the rocks near the treed section and the babies looked so cute. I snapped some pictures and then we switched and Fred gave me a rowing lesson and I rowed all around the cove and brought the dinghy back to the beach for a landing. We got out and hoisted it above the big logs way up and secured it. There are supposed to be some higher tides so we got her all safely set up.
Fred rowing the dingy around the cove
Fred hauling the dingy above high tide mark
Fred relaxed in the sun and I had a leftover lobster lunch, which was yummy. I then decided to go prune the North trail and grabbed the shears and some white paint for possible trail markings. The trail had some sections that needed trimming after the storm and more stuff had grown. Fred joined me about 1/3 of the way and he went on ahead with the paint. I went right at the loop junction to see the nest in the trail with it’s two eggs – not hatched yet. The bog did have a bunch of water submerging the wooden walk planks and a surprise gift of large purple irises!  One of my favorite flowers.  So I snapped some pictures of the purple lovelies and climbed up out of the bog snipping away wondering where Fred was. I quickly ran into him and we both went together to the scenic point. We had to go quickly since the seagulls were irate that we were invading their nesting area. Some did dive bomb us. We got down to the rock cliffs and sat down to rest and enjoy the view. We sat for about 20 minutes and watched the duck groups swim over to the rock edges and eat stuff off from the edges. It was so fun to watch the babies go completely under and pop back up. The adults looked funny with their butts up in the air as they were feeding. As we stayed very still they came closer feeding along the edges. We looked out north to the other islands – barren Pond Island with it’s sad little automated lighthouse. Its keeper house is no longer there since it was burned down years ago. We did see some tents there and some people about when we went by it in the ferry. It was so nice to just sit and relax and enjoy our private island for another lazy, quiet afternoon. We finally left our tranquil scene and we went up the vista trail back to the main trail – Fred got dive bombed and this time the seagull actually struck him on the head – good thing he was wearing a hat!
Iris in the Seguin Island Bog

Ducks with young chick feeding near the rocks at the north end

He went left and I continued right on the trail loop. He got ahead of me and I could see him up high on the steep ascending trail past the loop. I took the little vista trail that went to a bluff and took a peek at the ocean over the edge and a nest with 3 eggs. I quickly left so I wouldn’t disturb the seagulls and made my way back to the house with an occasional snip of foliage. By this time it was almost 6:30 pm and we were tired. So we watched the evening news with cocktails and knitting and relaxed. There was another pretty sunset and I snapped some pictures of it and of Sac with it and the lighthouse, bathed in a nice low glow. We took showers and then had a late dinner of salads and grilled chicken/apple sausages with cheese on cinnamon bread. Off to bed with dreams of duckling DA’s in the swirling eddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment